Gordon Ramsay’s Chocolate Sponge With Ginger is a Knockout!
Gordon Ramsay’s chocolate sponge with ginger is hands down a winner. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, makes a chocolate sponge with ginger as well as Mr. Ramsay! Case closed!! Check out his chocolate spong recipe video then have a look at the ingredients and recipe below.
Gordon Ramsay’s Chocolate Sponge With Ginger
Chocolate Sponge Ingredients:
175 grams + 50 grams of butter
175 grams of flour
175 grams of sugar
300 ml of cream
a piece of ginger
two tablespoons of golden syrup
Teaspoon of vanilla extract
Teaspoon of baking powder.
chocolate (looks to be about two bars worth)
a little bit of milk may be required
Here are Gordon Ramsay’s Instructions
1. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl and cream them using an electric mixer. Start on low speed and only speed up when the cream and butter really start to cream together. Then add one egg at a time while mixing. When the cream is a nice aerated texture stop.
2. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of baking powder to it. Now add 175 grams of flour through a sieve. Mix it together till it’s a loose dough. If it becomes too firm add a little splash or two of milk. You know when you’ve got it right as it will slowly drop off the spoon when held above the container.
3. Take a non-stick, loose bottom cake tin, greese it with butter then coat it with flour on the bottom and sides to stop the sponge from sticking. Then put the dough into it. Flatten it out with the back of your spactular and tap the tin a few times to get rid of any air pockets by lightly dropping from a height of 2 or 3 cm.
4. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees.
5. Now pour 300 ml of cream into a container and whisk it by hand till you have a nice light cream. Grate a piece of ginger then mix it into the cream. Put it in the fridge while your waiting for the cake to bake.
6. Take the cake out of the oven and run a knife around the outside of the sponge cake then push it out of the metal container from the bottom.
7. While you are waiting for the cake to cool it’s time to do the sweet chocolate coating. Pour 300 ml of double cream into a saucepan and add two tablespoons of golden syrup then whisk. Chop the chocolate up really thinly so it melts quickly and add 50 grams of butter. Boil the cream and pour it onto the chocolate and butter. Give it a really good stir.
8. Cut the cake in half and put two dollops of ginger cream on it. Put the top of the cake on it then pour the luxurious chocolate topping over it so it’s thoroughly covered. Use the bottom of the ladle to spread it.
Image by Allan warren (Own work) / CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons